Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Art of Book Sharing

I love reading and I love books. But what I don’t love is sharing my books. It makes me nervous thinking about someone else touching or turning a page in one of my books. I set rules for the people I do allow to touch my books:


·         no food or drinks by the book
·         wash your hands before you touch it
·         if you don’t like the sleeve, take it off before you start reading, and
·         DO NOT BEND THE PAGES.


        Other than the fact that it’s unreasonable (trust me, I KNOW), I can't shake the feeling that my books might be ruined. However, I’ve been trying to be better. I’m letting others come into the Library of Caroline and pick out any books they want. Being a literary citizen, and really knowing what it means, means I need to be able to share the thing I love most: reading. And I can’t do that without sharing my books with anyone who wants to read them.
I know how it feels when I open a book to the first page, how it feels to read the first sentence of the book, how it feels to get to the climax, and how it feels to get to the end. I want everyone to feel how amazing it feels to read one of my favorite books. It’s like wanting to be an author and wanting to hear about how the book changed their lives and what they thought about it. It’s probably the best feeling in the world. And I am determined to share it with the world.


If you ever want to read any of my books, here is my list:

  • Almost every one of Jodi Picoult's books (just ask which ones I don't have!)
  • 11 of Nicholas Sparks books (just ask which ones I don't have!)
  • A book of F. Scott Fitzgerald's best stories
  • Leo Tolstoy
  • Katie Coyle, and so many more!



3 comments:

  1. I can’t tell you how strongly I feel about this post! I’ve always been very generous in lending out my books, but I’ve had a few that have gotten tattered (and one with a white cover underneath the jacket that was stained -- I think my heart broke into a million pieces; I actually taped the jacket to the book so I wouldn’t have to look at it again), and so I’m much more cautious when lending out books now. At the same time, I’ve been trying to remind myself that while the actual physical form is important (it’s impossible to not care about books), sharing the content is so even more important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is noted. Since a lot of those things that you said don’t want people to do I do a lot to my own books. I just feel the wear and tear brings character to the book and memories along with it, like how a few drops of coffee on a page was from the time you were on a road trip and you spilt a little in the car or how some scribbled notes can be from a old friend that you may have lost touch with, but still value their memories and stories behind the notes. Though I can understand your logic they are your books that you are giving out and I would respect that, but when it is just me and my books they go anywhere and can experience multiple things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how hilarious this post is! I can just imagine you freaking out on someone for breaking your rules. Your voice is extremely prominent in your post, and it gives a huge insight into what kind of reader you are. You also talk about your growth as a literary citizen though, which shows us you aren't afraid to make a few sacrifices for the betterment of the literary community.

    ReplyDelete